Blue Raiders preparing for weekend series with UAB
By Daniel Johnson MTN Sports Reporter April 22, 2021
MURFREESBORO — After splitting a four-game series with Western Kentucky 2-2 last weekend, the MTSU baseball team is looking to rebound against conference foe UAB this weekend. Due to weather, the series will kick off Friday with a double-header, the first game beginning at 2 p.m. at Reese Smith Jr. Field.
Friday- vs. UAB (double-header) 2 p.m. & TBA
Saturday- vs. UAB | 1 p.m.
Sunday- vs. UAB | 1 p.m.
Coming off and eight game road trip, the Blue Raiders will play their first home games since April 3rd.
Reese Smith Jr Field will be limited to 10 percent capacity at all games this weekend. All attendees will be required to wear a mask at all times and to practice social distancing.
About Middle Tennessee
- Heading into this weekend, the Blue Raiders are currently ranked No. 6 in the country in stolen bases, with Fausto Lopez leading the way with 17.
- MTSU is also No. 3 in the country in Strikeout-To-Walk-Ratio with a 3.80 K/BB, (300:79)
- Junior right-hander Aaron Brown is ranked No. 4 nationally in strikeouts, with 79.
- The Blue Raiders are also No. 5 nationally in Walks Allowed Per Nine Innings (2.45 per game)
All-time vs. UAB
- The Blue Raiders lead the series against the Blazers 13-9, dating back to March 7, 2014
- The Blazers and Blue Raiders last played March 26-28 this season in Birmingham, AL, splitting the four game series 2-2
- The Blazers (12-24, 5-11) are on a two game losing skid, falling to No. 2 Mississippi State and Florida Atlantic earlier this week.
- The Blazers are 1-12 on the road this season, winning their only road game at No. 17 Louisiana Tech 9-3 on April 2
What are the Blue Raiders saying?
The Blue Raiders are looking to get back on track, and they know there are improvements that need to be made.
“As a team, we have to stay confident”, said junior first baseman Brycen Thomas. “We know there are things that we need to work on going into this weekend. If we stay confident and work hard this week, I think we could have a great weekend as a team.”