Rockvale High School Dismisses Early Due to Gas Leak
By: MTN Reporter Quenterious Mabone
September 8, 2021
Students at Rockvale High School were dismissed at 10 a.m. today because of an unresolved gas leak that was detected before the school day began on Wednesday.
At about 8:30 a.m., a smell of gas was detected, leading to Rockvale principal Steve Luker notifying parents that students would be getting dismissed early.
The school administration noticed a natural gas smell in one of the hallways this morning before 8 a.m. and had the gas turned off. School begins at 8:30 a.m. and students were diverted to the football
stadium until crews could investigate.
Crews from the utility department, the fire department, and the district’s maintenance department are on the scene and working to isolate and repair the leak.
However, the decision has been made to dismiss the high school students to return home because of the uncertainty of the how long it will take to repair. Parents have been notified by the school directly with specific instructions and dismissal will be held – using Rockvale Middle School’s parking lots – beginning at 10 a.m.
We appreciate parents’ patience and understanding as we address this situation.
No injuries have been reported with the possible gas leak at Rockvale High School on Highway 99 in Rutherford County.